Window on the World

Poirot is Witty and Charming, As Usual

Hercule Poirot and the Greenshore Folly - Agatha Christie

I had never read an Agatha Christie story before reading Hercule Poirot and the Greenshore Folly (Hercule Poirot Mysteries), but I had watched many episodes of Miss Marple and Poirot on Masterpiece: Mystery!  Of these two detectives, Poirot is by far my favorite.  His determination, clarity and bravado far outweigh the disadvantage of always being out of his comfort zone.  M. Poirot always seems a bit put out by any request that is made of him, but he always gives a case his utmost attention once he takes it on.

I have not yet seen the last season of Poirot, which I understand has an episode based on Dead Man's Folly, the book which Agatha Christie developed from Greenshore Folly.  Since reading this story, I am really looking forward to seeing the episode based on it.  Poirot is witty and charming, as usual.  Christie uses his character to mock the culture of middle and upper class England of the time.  The character of Ariadne Oliver is a mystery writer, and I believe that Christie makes fun of herself through some of Ms. Oliver's opinions and style.

Hercule Poirot and the Greenshore Folly is a fun, quick read for fans of period-style mysteries and, of course, Agatha Christie fans will love this new addition to the well-loved series.

Source: http://teressamorris.com/2013/12/hercule-poiroit-greenshore-folly-book-review