Window on the World

The Forever Saga: Flash (Volume 1)

Flash (The Forever Saga, #1) - Sean C. Sousa There are so many things I liked about The Forever Saga: Flash. First, it had an underlying good vs. evil message. There are a few quotes from the Bible, the most repeated being "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak." (Isaiah 40:29) This verse is one that has sustained me in difficult times and I love how Brian Renney and Prince Ahya's creator both used it as a switch for the robot.

I also enjoyed the relationship between Brian and Flash. The whole Vaucan race brought back fond memories of a local TV show, Captain Cosmic. Captain Cosmic aired Flash Gordon serials as well as Japanese serials, of which my favorite was Ultraman. Flash and his frenemies remind me a lot of Ultraman.

The story is a nice blend of exciting action and emotional drama. My only problem with this book is the heavy emphasis in parts on hockey. Jason, Brian's son, is a star player, but I felt that the overemphasis on the game scenes detracted from the rest of the book as hockey does not really play a major part in the story.

The best part about the book is that a portion of every sale benefits International Justice Mission and their work to end human trafficking.

Overall, I recommend The Forever Saga: Flash for fans of science fiction, especially those who enjoy the traditional struggle of right and wrong.