Window on the World

Emotions!: Making Sense of Your Feelings - Mary C. Lamia I first discovered Dr. Mary Lamia while I was doing research for my upcoming book on bullying. Honestly, i believe I googled the phrase "bullying expert" and sent emails to about five different people. Dr. Lamia was one of the three who was gracious enough to respond. She was more than gracious to answer my questions on the motivations behind bullying and even offered to send me a copy of her upcoming book. I was pleasantly surprised when Emotions!: Making Sense of Your Feelings arrived in my mailbox.

My son, Bud, has struggled with anxiety and depression for many years. Recently, through the right mix of medication and learning how to deal appropriately with his emotions, he has grown into an enjoyable and responsible young man. I wish that Dr. Lamia's book had been available when Bud was first diagnosed. It might have helped us all make it through the process more easily.

One of the best things about this book is it is a really remarkable reference that you can keep in your library for your teenagers, young adults (even you, yourself) to go to anytime they are unsure of what they are feeling. Dr. Lamia writes in the introduction:

"You don't necessarily have to read this book cover to cover. Depending on what you're experiencing, you can choose a chapter that resonates with you."

There's a chapter for each emotion. Included are:
anxiety, fear, embarrassment, shame, guilt, pride, loneliness, hope, sadness, anger, disgust, envy, interest, happiness

Each chapter includes:

a definition and real life example of the emotion, backed by research studies - i.e. -anxiety over a big test

Ways that the emotion can be positive - i.e. -anxiety over a test can motivate you to make sure you are well-prepared

Ways the emotion can be negative - i.e. -anxiety can become chronic worry

Summary and conclusion

What's It to You? - hints for dealing with your emotions - i.e. - deep breathing, exercise to burn off excess energy

I found this book to be very helpful (even for me) in identifying emotions. I especially liked the What's It to You? sections of the chapters. This book is geared towards older teenagers and young adults, but how many of us are in touch with all our emotions all the time? I think this book would be an asset to any home.