Window on the World

Fuzzies and Other People - H. Beam Piper After H. Beam Piper committed suicide in 1964, two more Fuzzy books were produced by other writers. I don’t count those as part of the Fuzzy mythos, especially since they don’t mesh with this most recent book.

Fuzzies and Other People picks up where Fuzzy Sapiens left off. Hugo Ingermann’s crew is on trial for enslaving Fuzzies and forcing then to steal sunstones from the company vaults. But Ingermann has a trick up his sleeve. He intends to claim the Fuzzies were willing accomplices to the crimes they committed. And since Fuzzies do not have a concept for falsehood, they will not be able to testify on their own behalf. Or will they?

This third book in the Fuzzy series was another enjoyable romp through the Fuzzy universe. Fuzzies are much like pre-pubescent children and although the tone towards different cultures is still very early 1960s (read not politically correct) in nature, this book is good clean fun. It is interesting that H. Beam Piper makes an exact case in his books for the reason for the Prime Directive as laid out in the Star Trek franchise. Are humans the best model for humanity?