Window on the World

Anthem's Fall - S.L. Dunn

Anthem's Fall starts out as an intelligent, thought-provoking read.  Kristen Jordan, the brilliant young research scientist is forced to deal with ethics issues beyond any we, as a society, have had to handle thus far.  How far is too far to go in the world of genetic modifications?  Kirsten's mentor draws the line a bit farther out than she does, and that creates a lot of conflict.

Then Kirsten meets Ryan Craig and finds in him a common sense of morality and justice.  Ryan raises valid arguments against the status quo in genetics research, such as:

The greater good is an opinion, and a dangerous one if it's used to force a group to act against its will....It's even more dangerous if that group doesn't have a voice in the government."

The ethics battling waging in Kristen's world reminds me of some of the logic debates between Kirk, Spock and McCoy in Star Trek ("the needs of the many outweight the needs of the few, or the one.").  Ryan compares it to Victor Frankenstein's love-hate relationship with his monster.

After the intellectual tone of the first chapters, the book takes a drastic turn into the world of Vengelis Epsilon and Gravitas Nerol - a world of superheroes and epic battles.  I loved the change of pace - it gave me a bit of a break from all the thinking, LOL.  When the superhero world collides with the "real" world, it is a battle I could never imagine.  The author made me feel like I was right there in the middle of it, and for that I am  most grateful.

Anthem's Fall is a stimulating read for intellectuals and adventure seekers alike.  The ending is a cliffhanger, but it does leave the reader with an inkling of what is to come, plus some hope for the future.

Source: http://teressamorris.com/2014/10/anthem