Window on the World

Plagues of Eden - Sharon Linnea, B.K. Sherer

Plagues of Eden sucked me in from the very first page.  To be honest, it was the title that first attracted me.  I mean anything with the word plagues in the title has to be intriguing, right? (For instance, my post on The Plagues of Homeschool).

This book is a fast-paced race against time through Egypt, France, China, and Italy, with a few other places thrown in for good measure.  The main characters are all complicated people, walking the often thin line between good and evil.   Some fall occasionally (as do we all) and some throw themselves headlong into the abyss.  The ethics and emotions of these difficult choices are the building blocks of the book.  The action and adventure is bonus!

The mysterious Eden in the book is a fascinating near-utopia that I would love to read more about.  I especially enjoyed the interaction between Jaime, Yani and the other "Gardeners" of Eden.

My least favorite point of view in fiction is third person omniscient.  For me, reading the perspective of too many different characters (more than say 4 or 5) is just too confusing.  Unfortunately, many writers these days tend to gravitate towards this particular point of view.   This book is no exception, and while I enjoyed it thoroughly, the frequently changing perspective is my only real complaint.