Window on the World

L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future 30: Writers of the Future 30 - Stephen Hickman, Robert Silverberg, L. Ron Hubbard, Dave Wolverton, Val Linahn, C. Stuart Hardwick

Last year, I was given the opportunity to review Writers of the Future Volume 28 and Volume 29.  I loved them both so much!!  I was beyond excited when I was asked to review this year's edition, Volume 30.

As usual, the stories were all first-rate.  My favorites from the contest winners were Animal by Terry Madden, about the last zoo in the world, and The Shaadi Exhile by Amanda Forest.  How would the concept of an arranged marriage work over light years?

In addition, there was another batch of insightful articles about writing and illustrating from some of the greatest in the business.  The essay Synaptic Soup by Val Lakey Lindahn, an illustrator of over 40 years, who was born blind, was awe inspiring.

And, of course, there were a few choice stories from some of my all time favorite authors.  Beyond All Weapons by L. Ron Hubbard, was first published in the January 1950 issue of Super Science Stories.  This story, about the losers of an interplanetary war, has a jaw dropping twist, that will leave you thinking.  Carousel by Orson Scott Card, tells the story of a world where the dead refuse to leave. How do the living go about their daily lives if the dead keep getting in the way?

This year, the anthology is available in e-reader versions and trade paperback.  The added bonus this year is that in addition to the black and white illustrations that accompany each story, there are also full color versions in the back of the book (of course, you'll need a color e-reader to experience this).

I give Writers of the Future Volume 30 four and a half stars!!!  It's an awesome romp through the width and breadth of historic and current science fiction and fantasy.

I received a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of review.  All opinions are 100% my own.

Source: http://teressamorris.com/2014/05/writers-future-volume-30-review-giveaway-ends-523