Window on the World

Cross the Ocean - Holly Bush

Cross the Ocean is a fun, romantic romp through the world of late 19th century England and America.  The book begins with the fish-out-of-water story of Gertrude Finch, a strong, self-sufficient woman who stands up for herself in the world of Victorian England, where women of means are supposed to be pretty and quiet.  Blake Sanders, the Duke of Wexford, is a womanizing chauvinist, used to a life of complete privilege.

When Blake and Gertrude meet, it's like stars colliding as they fight their attraction for each other and try to adjust to the changing times and conflicting cultures.  When Blake follows his runaway son to the U.S.  he becomes the fish-out-of-water on Gertrude's turf.  The resulting conflict between Blake, Gertrude and Gertrude's friends and relatives is at once both hilarious and endearing.

I was reminded of a Doris Day-Rock Hudson movie with the witty banter and drama/silliness arising from misunderstandings. I think this book would make an excellent movie.  I know I would watch it.

Source: http://teressamorris.com/2013/11/cross-ocean-book-review