Window on the World

Play Him Again - Jeffrey  Stone Play Him Again (A Matt Hudson Novel) was a nice change of pace for me. I enjoy a good thriller, but I had never read a historical thriller before. The book is set in the roaring twenties, and the dialogue in it contains much of the flapper/gangster slang of the time, without making the book a caricature. Phrases like "hope is for spinsters and stock speculators", "two-bit whore" and "not that you don't look like a sweet patootie, or however a Sheik refers to his Sheba this week" along with the rich description of clothes, food, furnishings, etc. really help to pull the reader back to that bygone era.

The book is well-researched and gives histories and explanations of rumrunning, con games and talking pictures without feeling like a textbook. There are a few minor sexy scenes, but nothing particularly graphic. I enjoyed the blend of description and story-telling that runs throughout the book.

Play Him Again is an exciting adventurous read that will keep you on the edge of your seat.