Window on the World

The Perpetual Rain (The Chronicles of Trellah, #1) - T.S. Graham The Chronicles of Trellah, Book One: The Perpetual Rain is a thrilling, scary, empowering fantasy book for teenagers and young adults. Sophina is a strong female character, and a good role model, as is her teacher/mentor Mrs. Tanner. I enjoyed the beautiful description in this book - so vivid that I could almost smell and taste the wonders Sophina found in the parallel universe of Trellah, not to mention picture in my mind's eye the grandeur of the landscape.

My favorite part of the book is the underlying theme of consequences. Sophina realizes how her little brother is affected by her teasing. Mrs. Tanner realizes her mistake in hiding herself away. Many people in this book screw up and deal with the consequences good or bad. I also like the juxtaposition between the Trellian idea of justice and Earth justice.

Trellian justice:"My son will be punished for what he has done," responded Talfore with an unexpected lack of emotion, "not rewarded for what he will not do in the future."

Earth justice: "Sophina, you'll find that your life won't be defined by the mistakes you make; it's the lessons you learn from those mistakes that are important."

Which version is better? The author doesn't say - it's a thought-provoking question that I believe YA readers will enjoy discussing.