Window on the World

Annie Crow Knoll: Sunrise (Annie Crow Knoll, #1) - Gail Priest I loved the title character of Annie. She is another strong woman, like many of the books I have read lately. It makes me proud to see women “rescue” themselves in novels, yet still want a man to comfort and love them. It is possible to be both strong and vulnerable. Annie “Crow” is one of these strong yet vulnerable women.

Annie Crow Knoll: Sunrise is a cozy, comfortable read, thanks to the beautiful description of the Chesapeake Bay and surrounding area, and also due to the realistic dialogue. I could picture the swells and buffets of the waves on the shore. I stood next to Annie and her best friend Grace as they chatted about their love lives. Gail Priest creates a tangible world that you will want to live in.

This book reveals two important life lessons that Annie learns as she “grows up.” The first lesson is about how people treat each other. The book is mostly set in the pre-civil rights South of the 1950s and ’60s. It is a real reminder of how far we’ve come in relations between people of different colors and how young children are inherently color blind until adults teach them otherwise.

The other lesson is about how far we’ve come in dealing with mental illness over the years. After Annie’s grandmother dies, some truths are revealed to Annie about the history of her family which give her some insight into her own life and feelings. This part of the story reminded me of some stories in my own family that were not revealed until after my great-grandmother died. I am glad that we live in the modern age even though it may feel like a little too much information sometimes.

My only problem with the book was the not-quite omniscient perspective. Especially in the beginning it was a little difficult to tell which character’s perspective I was following. Other than that this is a lovingly written tribute to a time not-so-long-ago and not-so-far-away.