Window on the World

McKenzie - Penny Zeller McKenzie (Montana Skies #1) reminded me strongly of Janette Oke's Love Comes Softly series, with a little bit of Taming of the Shrew mixed in. McKenzie Worthington, at the beginning of the story, is a spoiled, entitled young woman who believes in her own goodness because she goes to church, even if, as she admits later, it is for "purely social reasons." When she marries the godly man Zach Sawyer and comes to live in the town of Pine Haven, she slowly begins to discover what it means to "walk with God."

This is a very sweet book with lots of beautiful description of the wide open spaces of Montana and what it was like to live in the 1800s. I especially liked the liberal sprinkling of prayers and Bible verses that were appropriately quoted by the characters. This is not a preachy book at all, but instead shows that none of us are perfect - we all must seek forgiveness from each other and God in order to build long lasting relationships.

I found the book to be a little predictable, and although I enjoyed the ending, I found it slightly implausible for the time period. However, this was a thoroughly enjoyable and easy read which I would recommend to any fan of the genre