Window on the World

Scent of Triumph - Jan Moran Everything about this book is beautiful. The people are beautiful, the scenery is beautiful, even the tragic scenes in Scent of Triumph are achingly beautiful. But most beautiful of all, are the descriptions of the scents and smells that Danielle experiences every day, as well as the description of her perfumes:

She inhaled again, going farther, detecting the bouquet of jasmine and rose, rich and silky, entwined with a spicy note of carnation, adding verve and vitality, robust brilliance.

Can't you just smell it? The words themselves are intoxicating.

I had to stop wearing perfume about ten years ago, due to my asthma, and I can't even walk through the candle aisle of Bed, Bath and Beyond without holding my breath, but through Jan Moran's narrative, I can feel like I am right there in the perfumery, smelling the wonderful scents and trying all the exquisite parfum.

Beyond the magnificent detail, the story line is compelling, weaving in the stories of intrigue, subterfuge and abandonment in World War II Europe with the raucous, craziness of post World War II Hollywood. Arching over it all is the story of Danielle, strong and beautiful, intelligent and feminine. Happy sigh.