Window on the World

Writers of the Future Volume 29 - L. Ron Hubbard, Dave Wolverton, Alex Wilson, Kodiak Julian, Marilyn Guttridge, Shannon Peavey, Andrea Stewart, Marina J. Lostetter, John Eno, Joshua Meehan, Luis Menacho, Nnedi Okorafor, Oliva Xu, Daniel Reneau, Jackie Albano, Aldo Katayanagi, Side Chen, Karsen Slater, Jam Once I started reading this new volume, I must say that I enjoyed it even more than the last one!! I enjoyed every story, but my two favorite were The Ghost Wife of Arlington, about Death's mistress, and Holy Days, which speculates about some extra special days being added to the calendar. What if there was one day a year when all ailments were healed, just for the day?

I also really appreciated the helpful articles in the book. There is an article for illustrators by Larry Elmore, Journey For a New Artist, but it was the two articles for writers that really struck a chord with me. The first, by L. Ron Hubbard, is titled The Manuscript Factory. In it, Hubbard gives a great perspective on writing for money that should resonate with all of us who do this for living, be we bloggers, journalists or artists:

If you write insincerely, if you think the lowest pulp can be written insincerely, and still sell, then you're in for trouble unless your luck is terribly good. And luck rarely strikes twice.

The second article is by Nnedi Okorafor, one of this year's judges. She writes in The Sport of Writing:

Rage can be a great blade sharpener. It doesn't feel good but it's burning inside you, so you might as well use it. Don't let it stop you from producing; channel it into your work instead. Let it serve a purpose. Produce something positive.

I recommended the previous volume of Writers of the Future for anyone who enjoys science fiction. I believe Volume 29 will be appreciated not just by science fiction and fantasy enthusiasts, but also by those who are looking to learn from the best.