Window on the World

Of Tapestry, Time and Tears - Carol  Morgan Of Tapestry, Time and Tears begins with tragedy (flooding and destruction of towns in southern Texas in the late 19th century) and ends with tragedy (September 11, 2001). But this book is a story of survival and adaptation, not of defeat and loss.

Edwina Kleberg, the main character, reminded me very much of Scarlet O’Hara in Gone With the Wind. She is a strong woman who breaks all the rules. She finds forbidden love and doesn’t let life’s circumstances get her down.

The first half of the book focuses mainly on Edwina’s youth, including her time in college, her first important assignment as a reporter during World War II, and her years spent in India, falling in love with the people and the culture.

The second half of the book follows Edwina from age 30 to her 80s and is mainly set in the US. Along the way, she explores Catholicism, Hinduism, and Buddhism in her search for inner peace.

I found this epic book to be a little too large for the author. The description is brilliant and the storyline intriguing, but much of the dialogue is stilted and lacks realism. Nevertheless, I could not put this book down. I just couldn’t wait to see what situation Edwina would get into next.