Window on the World

Neverland Evermore - Sarah J. Pepper

I love new takes (especially twisted ones ;-) on traditional fantasy and fairy tales.  Neverland Evermore fits the bill (both a new take AND twisted).

In Sarah J. Pepper's take on the Peter Pan story, Neverland is actually a place of evil and Peter Pan, a kind of devil.  Tinkerbell (known as Miss Bell) escapes (or is banished) from this dreadful place and finds comfort in the arms of "her captain".

neverland evermore book review

There is implied sex in this book, although nothing graphic.  Honestly, I was relieved, as picturing Tinkerbell and Captain Hook together is a little like thinking of a chihuahua with a Great Dane.  How do you work out the logistics of something like that?  Fortunately, Neverland Evermore's Miss Bell is simply a very petite magical woman, not a tiny firefly-like creature.

The story alternates between past and present, between the perspectives of Miss Bell and Captain Hook.  Wendy, Michael and John all have their roles also, but don't expect the polite English children from the original story!!

I enjoyed all the twists and turns in the story.  Wondering what character or part of the story would be turned on its ear is part of the fun of reading this book.

I highly recommend Neverland Evermore for teenage or adult fans of fantasy and fairytales, who don't mind the irreverent treatment.  This book is NOT FOR CHILDREN!!

I received a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of review. All opinions are 100% my own.

Source: http://teressamorris.com/2016/06/11/neverland-evermore-book-review