Window on the World

Writers of the Future Volume 31 (L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future) - Megan Kelchner, Megen Nelson, Choong Nyung Yoon, Choong Nyung Yoon, Quinlan Septer, Alex Brock, Taylor Payton, Shuangjian Liu, Emily Siu, Michelle Lockamy, Tung Chi Lee, Tim Napper, Steve Pantazis, Amy H. Hughes, Larry Niven, Daniel Tyka, Sharon Joss, Scott R. Parkin, Krys

Two years ago, I was given the opportunity to review Writers of the Future Volume 28 and Volume 29.  I loved them both so much!!  Then again, last year, I was asked to review Volume 30.  It was awesome!!  So you can imagine how excited I was when I found out to review this year's edition, Writers of the Future, Volume 31.

As usual, the stories were all first-rate.  My favorites from the contest winners were God Whisperer by Daniel J. Davis, about a man who adopts a fallen idol, and Stars That Make Dark Heaven Light by Sharon Joss.  What would happen if colonists failed at populating a new world and were presented with an innovative solution?

In addition, there was another batch of insightful articles about writing and illustrating from some of the greatest in the business.  The essay Fiction Without Paper by my writing hero, Orson Scott Card, explains how important short stories are even in the digital age.

And, of course, there were a few choice stories from some of my all time favorite authors.  When Shadows Fall by L. Ron Hubbard, was first published in July 1948.  This story, about interplanetary colonists perceptions of those left behind on Earth gives plenty of food for thought on what we, as a group, take for granted.  Rough Draft, by Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta is the story of an award winning writer who needs some motivation to keep writing from an alternate reality.

This year, the anthology is available in e-reader versions and trade paperback.  An added bonus is that, in addition to the black and white illustrations that accompany each story, there are also full color versions in the back of the book (of course, you'll need a color e-reader to experience this).

Source: http://teressamorris.com/2015/05/writers-of-the-future-volume-31-review